These Conditions explain your rights, obligations, and responsibilities and those of your contractor. A contract is a two-way arrangement and it is important that everyone knows Where they stand. Where we use the word ‘you’ or ‘your’ it means the customer: ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘our’ means the contractor named on the front of this contract. These Conditions can only be Changed or amended by our written agreement.
1. Losses / Damage
Please remember any claim for damage carries a £250 excess and our maximum claim per item is £500. Extra insurance for high-value goods can be arranged by request.
It is the responsibility of the customer to ensure extra insurance is arranged if required
We do not accept responsibility for damaged or lost property once the job is complete and payment is made.
Time limits for claims.
In the unlikely event of any damage to your items, we have strict conditions placed on us by our insurance company. All damage or loss must be reported within 24 hours of the completion of your booking. In the event that damage is reported to us by email or text message, corroborating pictures of the damage should be supplied within 72 hours of the booking taking place, failing which a damage complaint cannot be processed.
In the event that a customer is expressly advised that a specialist mover/service should be booked for their move, no liability will be accepted for damage to goods/property should the customer decide to proceed with the booking in any event.
In the event that a customer is expressly advised that items should be dismantled prior to the move, no liability will be accepted for damage to goods/property should the customer decide to proceed with the booking without following said advice.
If reporting damage to goods which have been placed in storage and which only becomes evident on the goods being removed from storage, proof must be submitted that no third party has had access to the storage unit in the intervening period. This can be obtained on request from the storage unit Manager.
It is essential that you have original dated photos of the item(s) concerned. Please note that any damage claims made after the 24 hour period expires will not be considered.
Any estimates in relation to replacement/repair of damaged goods or property must be provided within 28 days of the move date. Estimates provided beyond this time cannot be considered.
The service provider will not be held liable for damage if it is determined that your goods were already damaged, or had an inherent defect.
In the event that the driver is assisted in a booking by a customer or other third party provided by the customer, the driver shall not be held solely liable for damage caused to goods or property. If a booking is booked as ‘no help required’, we cannot assist with any claim for damage.
Please note that without photographic evidence that goods were undamaged prior to your move, we are unable to compensate for scratched furniture, walls or flooring. (This is due to the difficulty in assigning liability for such damage in the absence of definitive proof).
We are unable to process a damage complaint for any communal area in a property. This is due to the communal nature of usage and the difficulty in assigning responsibility for damage.
No complaint will be considered if the booking has not been paid in full.
No complaint will be considered if raised more than 28 days from the date of the booking.
If multiple bookings have been made by a customer and any of those bookings remains unpaid in full, no complaint can be considered on any subsequent booking until that debt has been discharged.
Any complaint under investigation will be considered void if the customer fails to respond to correspondence from us for a period in excess of 28 days.
Any refund offer expires if not accepted within 28 days of the date that it was first offered.
Your driver may ask you to sign a disclaimer if he feels your items are either not protected adequately or could be damaged in the move for other reasons which are beyond his control. Please remember any claim for damage carries a £250 excess and our maximum claim per item is £500. Extra insurance for high-value goods can be arranged by calling our Customer Service on 07925405549
Ikea/Argos Like products
Please note that JP Man and Van and its drivers will not take any responsibility for any damage or breakages involving any Ikea or Argos products of any type. This is due to the poor standard of construction and the one-off build design of their products. (If you are unsure if the type of product is covered please email customer services Info@jpmanandvan.co.uk)
Damage to Televisions/PCs/Monitors
Please note that Compare the Man and Van and its drivers will not take any responsibility for any internal damage to a television/PC or Monitor without clear evidence of external damage to the television/PC or Monitor. This will include but is not exclusive to:
* backlight ‘bleeding’;
* colour banding or bleeding;
* clouding of the screen; or
* pixel damage.
Due to the sensitive nature of televisions/computer equipment, without clear evidence of external damage, it is impossible to prove who caused any internal damage.
Damage to Motorbikes/Motorcycles
Please note that Compare the Man and Van and its drivers are not specialist motorbike/motorcycle movers and can therefore not take responsibility for damage caused to a motorbike/motorcycle during a removal. Motorbikes/motorcycles should be moved by a specialist motorbike/motorcycle mover due to the bulk, weight and awkwardness of the item. Although a driver will be prepared to move a motorbike/motorcycle on a customer’s express instruction, no liability is accepted for any resultant damage. It is also a requirement that the driver is given prior notice, either via notes in the booking process, or verbally prior to the move, that the move will involve moving a motorbike/motorcycle.
Damage to Pianos (resultant damage to property)
Please note that Compare the Man and Van and its drivers will not take any responsibility for damage caused to a piano during a removal. This includes any damage caused by the removal of a piano to a property. Pianos should be moved by a specialist piano mover due to the bulk, weight and awkwardness of the item. Although a driver will be prepared to move a piano on a customer’s express instruction, no liability is accepted for any resultant damage. It is also a requirement that the driver is given prior notice,either via notes in the booking process, or verbally prior to the move, that the move will involve moving a piano.
2. Work not included in the quotation. Unless agreed by us in writing we will not:
(a) Dismantle or assemble unit or system furniture (flat-pack), fitments or fittings.
(b) Disconnect or reconnect appliances, fixtures, fittings or equipment.
(c) Take up or lay fitted floor coverings.
(d) Move storage heaters unless they are dismantled
(e) Move items from aloft, unless properly lit, and floored and safe access is provided.
(f) Move or store any items excluded under clause 4.
Our staff are not authorised or qualified to carry out such work. We recommend that a properly qualified person is separately employed by you to carry out these services.
3. Your responsibility. It will be your sole responsibility to:
(a) Declare to us the value of the goods being removed and/or stored.
(b) Arrange adequate insurance cover for the goods submitted for removal transit and/or storage, against all insurable risks.
(c) Obtain at your own expense, all documents, permits, licences, customs documents necessary for the removal to be completed.
(d) Be present or represented throughout the removal. It is solely customer’s responsibility to check thoroughly that all goods have been returned; also check the vehicle for your satisfaction, before signing of the paper work. As once we have departed, the company cannot be held responsible for any misconceptions, lost or damaged items.
(e) Take all reasonable steps to ensure that nothing that should be removed is left behind and nothing is taken away in error.
(f) Arrange proper protection for goods left in unoccupied or unattended premises, or where other people such as (but not limited to) tenants or workmen are, or will be present.
(g) Prepare adequately and stabilise all appliances or electronic equipment prior to their removal.
(h) Empty, properly defrost and clean refrigerators and deep freezers. We are not responsible for the contents.
(i) Provide and keep us updated with a contact address for correspondence during removal transit and/or storage of goods. Other than by reason of our negligence, we will not be liable for any loan or damage, disposal whilst not paying, costs or additional charges that may arise from any of these matters.
(j) Any waiting charge will be charged at the rate of £60.00 per hour.
(k) We accept no responsibility for loss or damage to goods after they are delivered into a self storage facility or if the goods are subsequently handled by another party,
(l) Should you require access to your goods stored in our storage facility, we require a minimum of 7 to 14 days advance notice, however more advanced notice is preferred. After you have made a request to access to your items in writing and if we could arrange and grant access earlier, we shall confirm this in writing, in any case we need to have everything in writing.
m) If you are moving into our storage, you are not allowed to store: acids, drugs, alcohol, animals, food, liquids, living plants, gas, cash, firearms, explosives and illegal goods. Please note that our storage quote is strictly based on the inventory/items list you have provided. If you happen to have extra items, you will need to inform us in advance and check for availability first or this may incur extra charges on the day of your move. Storage access fee is £30 per visit.
n) Any additional cost incurred due to unforeseen circumstances such as a result of vehicle being overloaded, delays beyond our control, will be billed to client.
o) Additional cost may be charged for obtrusive access or passages requiring a long walk, removal of doors or windows and for any unforeseen events or delays due to circumstances beyond Elephant Removal’s control. If during the removal service our vehicle travels through any enforced toll roads (including the Congestion Charging Zone), then the cost of this will be added to the quote. The quote, based on the information provided, and excludes any unusual items (such as a heavy safe or a piano) or circumstances (e.g. a sofa needs to come out / go in through the window). If there are any unusual items and/or circumstances, please give us written instructions via email in advance so that necessary arrangements can be made prior to the move. Any changes can only take effect if we have agreed in to them in writing.
If payments are not received after 14 days of schedule this will result the item(s) to be disposed and additional charges of disposal and labour will be added to your bill including any Administration costs.Late storage fees will apply at the rate of £25.00 per day.
P) ) Any bodies within the household or appointed person(s) during the move, must not engage or interfere with removal with the exception of very heavy objects (not manageable by selected team), otherwise any claim of that particular item will be invalid.
Q) ) If due payments are withheld due to any reason, any claim will be void, even if payment is made at a later stage. Access to goods can be granted upon written request, with agreed advance appointments only, a fee will be applied.
4. Goods not to be submitted for removal or storage. The following items are specifically excluded from this contract
(a) Jewellery, watches, trinkets, precious stones or metals, money, deeds, securities, stamps, coins, or goods or collections of any similar kind.
(b) Prohibited or stolen goods, drugs, potentially dangerous, damaging or explosive items, including gas bottles, aerosols, paints, firearms and ammunition.
(c) Plants or goods likely to encourage vermin or other pests or to cause infestation.
(d) Refrigerated frozen food & drinks, large glass items need to be transported by specialists glass companies.
(e) Any animals and their cages or tanks including pets, birds or fish.
(f) Goods, which require special licence or government permission for, export or import.
Such goods will not be removed by us except with our prior written agreement. In the event that we do remove such goods, we will not accept liability for loss or damage wholly or mainly attributable to the special nature of the goods concerned, If you submit such goods without our knowledge and prior written agreement we will not be liable for any loan or damage and you will indemnify us against any charges, expenses, damages or penalties claimed against us. In addition we shall be entitled to dispose of (without notice) any such goods which are listed under paragraphs 4(b), 4(c) or 4(d).
5. Ownership of the goods. By entering into this contract, you declare that
(a) The goods to be removed and/or stored are your own property, or
(b) The person(s) who own or have an interest in them, have given you authority to make this contract, and have been made aware of these conditions.
You will meet any claim for damages and/or costs against us if these declarations are not true.
6. Charges if you postpone or cancel the removal.
If the move is cancelled the deposit will be retained. If the move is rescheduled, half of the deposit will be retained.
7. Paying for the Removal.
Unless otherwise agreed by us in writing:
(a) Payment is required, as cash, cleared funds in our bank accounts in advance of the removals, storage period or other services.
(b) You may not withhold any part of the agreed price.
(c) Any payment queries must be directed to head office prior to payment on the day, removal staffs do not have the facility or authorisation to amend quotations or sum due.
In respect of all sums which are overdue to us we will charge daily interest calculated at a minimum of 4% per annum or above the base rate for Barclays Bank PLC, whichever is higher.
d) We have the right to charge a reasonable administration charge in the event that a customer who has not paid all sums upon delivery cannot subsequently be contacted.
e) The reason for cancellation should be genuine and valid according to our view, especially when everything has been put in writing or full payment may be required.
f) All due payment must be cleared at end of each day even if the job has to be continued into another day.
8. Delays in transit
(a) Other then by reason of our negligence, we will not be liable for delays in transit.
(b) If through no fault of ours we are unable to deliver your goods, we will take them into store. The contract will then be fulfilled and any additional service(s), including storage and delivery, will be at your expense.
9. Damage to premises or property other than goods.
(a) We will not be liable for any damage to premises or property other than goods submitted for removal and/or storage unless we have been negligent.
(b) If we cause damage as a result of moving goods under your express instruction, against our advice, and where to move the goods in the manner instructed will inevitably cause damage, we shall not accept that we were negligent
(c) If we are responsible for causing damage to your premises or to property other than goods submitted for removal and/or storage, you must note this on the worksheet or delivery receipt, however if it was done under your instruction and you took liability for it. We will not be liable if requested to carry out odd jobs from difficult/restricted access specially when a customer confirms by signing and confirming the extra part of the acceptence form that ‘The company will not be liable for removal of certain items that may cause damage to the property and / or the effects.’ This is essential to the contract.
13. Our Right to Hold the Goods (lien). We shall have a right to withhold and/or ultimately dispose of some or all of the goods until you have paid all our charges and any other payments due under this or any other contract. These include any charges that we have paid out on your behalf. While we hold the goods and wait for payment you will be liable to pay all storage charges and other costs incurred by our withholding your goods and these terms and conditions shall continue to apply.
10. Our right to sub-contract the work
(a) We reserve the right to sub-contract some or all of the work.
(b) If we sub-contract, then these conditions will still apply.
11. Route and method.
(a) We have the full right to choose the route for delivery.
(b) Unless it has been specifically agreed in writing on our Quotation, other space/volume/capacity on our vehicles and/or the container may be utilised for consignments of other customers.
12. Advice and information.
Advice and information in whatever form it may be given is provided by the company for the customer only. Any oral advice given without special arrangement is provided gratuitously and without contractual liability.
13. Applicable law.
This contract is subject to the law of the country in which the office of the company issuing this contract is situated.
EXTRA CONDITIONS THAT APPLY TO THE STORAGE OF GOODS
14. Your forwarding address.
(a) If you send goods to be stored you must provide an address for letters and notify us if it changes. All correspondence and notices will be considered to have been received by you seven days after posting it to your last address recorded by us.
(b) If you do not provide an address or respond to our correspondence or notices, we may publish such notions in a public newspaper in the area to or from which the goods were removed.
15. List of goods (inventory) or receipt.
Where we produce a list of your goods (inventory) or a receipt and send it to you, it will be accepted as accurate unless you write to us within seven days of receiving it, notifying as of any errors or omissions.
16. Revision of storage charges.
We review our storage charges periodically. You will be given 26 days notice in writing of any increases.
17. Our Right to Sell or dispose of the Goods.
On giving you 28 days notice we are entitled to require you to remove your goods from our custody and pay all money due to us. If you fail to pay all outstanding debts due to us we are entitled to sell or dispose of some or all the goods without further notice. The cost of the sale or disposal will be charged to you. The net proceeds will be credited to your account and any eventual surplus will be paid to you without interest.
If payments are up to date we will not end this contract except by giving you three calendar months notice in writing. If you wish to terminate your storage contract, you must give us at least 14 days notice. If we can release the goods earlier, we will do so, provided that your account is paid up to date. Charges for storage are payable to the date when the notice should have taken effect.
19. Hand out charges.
If you make your own arrangements to collect the goods from our warehouse we are entitled to make a charge for handing them over. Our liability will cease upon handing over the goods.
Elephant Removals Ltd, Unit 1, 53 Wandle Way, London SW18 4UJ
1. Customer to arrange and reserve suitable parking spaces at all addresses.
2. Customer to pay for any pay and display, Parking Ticket issued or Tall/Congestion Charge(s).
3. Agreed charge will apply if job enters into the next hour for over 5 minutes.
4. Minimum booking is for 2 hours, unless otherwise given in writing.
5. 10 Minutes break after every 2 hours.
6. Removal Vehicles cannot transport customers.
7. It is client’s responsibility to be present at all addresses concerned throughout the moving process. Elephant Removals will not be liable if you decide to leave the property at any stage or leave the responsibility at any of our staff including locking of the main door before leaving etc or what happens after our staff(s) leave the property, if you decide to do it, do it at your own risk.
8. We reserve the right to refuse, cease or stop the job at any point for valid reasons such as dispute, weather conditions or similar cases.
9. All due charge(s) for services provided are required to be paid in full before unloading the goods / the completion, unless otherwise given in writing by us. Failure of payment will be prosecuted; details will be gained through all necessary methods and resources to prosecute the individual responsible. We have the right to take your goods, store, charge all the costs involved in this procedure, and only deliver back if the payment has been made in full including delivering back costs. In the case of late payment interest will be charged at the rate of 12.25%. Under the provisions of “The Late Payment of Commercial Debt, (Interest) Act 1998″. Information will be forwarded to debt collectors, bailiff will be sent if required, will also be black listed. Holding any due payment will also invalidate any insurance cover according to our terms and conditions
10. The porters would place items into the instructed places as long as it is accessible, but they are not responsible for designing or organizing the property.
11. Vehicles are insured for business purposes.
12. No damage will be paid if part / self-loading.
13. Minimum charge for disconnection of appliances ₤15.00 and connection also ₤15.00 depending on how difficult the task maybe at your own risk.
14. Minimum charge for disassembling or assembling will be ₤10.00 per item depending on the nature of the item.
15. Items with special fitting from manufacturer will not be dismantled or assembled.
16. Minimum cost of Dumping is ₤99.00 per half tonne.
17. Minor damage of goods or property will not be paid unless insured.
18. Terms & Conditions may change and update can be found on our website.
19. I accept your quotation for the removal of effects as specified, based on the goods shown to your representative in person or otherwise described by me in a list supplied to you. I confirm that the goods are my own unencumbered possessions or that I am authorised to enter into this contract on behalf of the owner of the goods. I have read and retained a copy of your conditions of contract to which I agree.
20. All payments must be made 10 days prior to removal by cheque or in cash or bankers draft on the day of move prior to unloading..
21. Any withheld payments in part or in full will negate the right to make a claim of any kind, By accepting our services, you give Elephant Removals continues authorisation to take the remaining payment by the card details already given / used.
22. Job arrival times are estimated. Although we do our best to be on time, circumstances out of our control may cause delays.
23. Emergency overnight storage charge would be £150.00
24. There is a minimum charge of £51 minimum (per half tonne) for goods going to the tip / disposal centre.
25. Payment for the move and any insurance purchased cannot be held due to an insurance or any other claim.
Verbal or threatening behaviour will not be tolerated. If the driver is forced to leave the job because of abuse from the customer verbal or otherwise the customer will still be liable to pay in full.
The relevant United Kingdom law shall govern these terms and conditions, and by agreeing to be bound by them the customer agrees to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the relevant courts of the United Kingdom.